A pediatric dentist specializes in treating infants, children, adolescents, and children with special needs. A pediatric dentist is required to have two or three years of specialty training after the standard four years of dental school centered around dealing with children and adolescents. He or she is best qualified to meet the special needs of children and their oral health.
Most Children tend to get their first teeth by the time they are 6 months old. Up until they are generally 6-7 years old they maintain their baby teeth. After about 7 years old they begin to lose the baby teeth and the permanent teeth grow in. In order to cater to the delicate needs of baby teeth and the transition into a child’s permanent teeth, it is important to have a qualified pediatric dentist that is specialized in dealing with these critical years of development.
Without the proper care and maintenance, child can get mouth diseases or oral decay that can set them up with a lifetime of oral health problems down the road.
The typical types of treatments that pediatric dentists perform are:
- Infant oral health exams, this can include risk assessment provided by taking a look at the parents history of dental hygiene and overall health
- Preventative dental care
- Frequent cleanings
- Fluoride treatment to ensure strong teeth
- Diet and nutrition recommendations to ensure healthy oral health
- Orthodontics, or assessment and treatment of crooked teeth or an improper bite
- Tooth repair caused by cavities tooth defects
- Care of gum diseases and/or dental injuries
Looking for a pediatric dentist in the Peabody, MA area?
At ABC Dental, we aim to provide the best quality care using the latest techniques and equipment in a fun environment for our patients. Our goal is to build a healthy future for children. Give us a call today or fill out the contact form on this page to start the oral health journey for your children!